Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Donald Miller

Those of you who watched the DNC last week (I didn't) may have wondered who the guy was giving the prayer, and why he kept his eyes opened (I thought only Catholics did that?); he is Donald Miller, author of Blue Like Jazz and Searching for God Knows What, among others.

Honestly, I caught most of the highlights from the convention on The Daily Show, but I did find it encouraging to see an evangelical at a Democratic Convention.

Miller gave an interview with Christianity Today before the prayer, where he said a lot of things more Christian's (and non-Christians for that matter) should be saying. Thanks to Travis for sharing that interview, which I have also put below:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome.

Notice when, right before his benediction, Don said something about having good weather. I think that's a reference to the Focus on the Family video "Pray for Rain."

Scott Douglas said...

I hadn't heard that and I looked it up. Sure enough, a video on Focus on the Family asks veiwers to pray for rain! Apparently, Focus doesn't believe in praying for their enemies (http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=1874). They said the video was all tongue and cheek, and just can't figure out why no one is laughing. They also said Obama's views on gay marriage is against the Bible, which seemed odd to me, because so far Obama and evangelical's beloved McCain have no stance on gay marriage; but are afraid to talk about it and are taking the "it's a state issue" approach.